Plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey shows a homeowner how to install and operate an energy-saving smart thermostat. (See below for a shopping list, tools, and steps.)
SUBSCRIBE to This Old House: http://bit.ly/SubscribeThisOldHouse
Shopping List for How to Install a Smart Thermostat:
– Smart thermostat [https://amzn.to/2Sd2bAZ]
Tools List for How to Install a Smart Thermostat:
– Screwdriver [https://amzn.to/2XMTy1k]
Steps for How to Install a Smart Thermostat:
1. Turn off the service switch on the side of the furnace.
2. Remove the faceplate from the existing thermostat.
3. Take a digital photograph of the wire connections.
4. Use a screwdriver to loosen the screw terminals on the thermostat’s base plate.
5. Pull the end of each wire out of the terminal.
6. Unscrew and remove the base plate from the wall.
7. Screw the base plate of the new smart thermostat to the wall. Be sure the base plate is level.
8. Connect each wire to the appropriate terminal on the base plate. If necessary, refer to the photograph taken in Step 3.
9. Snap the smart thermostat onto the base plate.
10. Turn on the service switch at the furnace.
11. At the thermostat, follow the touch-screen prompts to choose the preferred language and internet setting, which allows you to control the thermostat remotely from a tablet or smart phone.
12. Next, enter the year when house was last remodeled, then select a name for the thermostat.[
13. Select the lowest and highest room temperatures for when you’re not at home.
14. Adjust the thermostat setting each time you leave for work and return home. After a few days, the thermostat will learn your habits and automatically adjust the heat.
Richard installed the Nest thermostat [https://bit.ly/35bCqcy], which is available at home centers and electronics stores.
He also demonstrated the Nest app, which is available on select smart phone and tablet platforms.
About Ask This Old House TV:
Homeowners have a virtual truckload of questions for us on smaller projects, and we’re ready to answer. Ask This Old House solves the steady stream of home improvement problems faced by our viewers—and we make house calls! Ask This Old House features some familiar faces from This Old House, including Kevin O’Connor, general contractor Tom Silva, plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey, and landscape contractor Roger Cook.
Looking for more step by step guidance on how to complete projects around the house? Join This Old House INSIDER to stream over 1,000 episodes commercial-free: https://bit.ly/2GPiYbH
Plus, download our FREE app for full-episode streaming to your connected TV, phone or tablet: https://www.thisoldhouse.com/pages/streaming-app
Follow This Old House and Ask This Old House:
For more on This Old House and Ask This Old House, visit us at: http://bit.ly/ThisOldHouseWebsite
How to Install a Smart Thermostat | Ask This Old House